?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Book Selling

I've decided to only go to the post office Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings (lunch time at the latest). Over the weekend, I sold a Physiology text book for $17 that I picked up for $0.25. Last night, I sold a self-help workbook for $0.50 on Amazon.com. Amazon took over $2 in commissions. This is why amazon marketplace stinks. The cool thing was that someone in Australia bought it! I got to send something overseas! Kinda cool, but I didn't even break even on that book. Annoying. When I got home from work, I had another sale from Amazon (an occult book) that I had double listed on half.com, too. I would have rather it sold on half (because of the commission), but I picked it up for free and sold it for $20, so no harm done. :-) That is going out on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll have another sale or two before that so I don't have to go to the post office for one package. It's not that far away from work, but sometimes the wait is amazingly annoying. Today I waited for 20 minutes. And there were only 2 people in front of me in line. Ridiculous. Maybe if the USPS realized they were in the service industry, they'd be doing better all around. Maybe not.

Tags:

Comments

( 12 comments — Leave a comment )
memeslayer
Jul. 1st, 2008 03:46 am (UTC)
Does your post office have an Automated Postal Center machine? They can print shipping postage for you.
collectonian
Jul. 1st, 2008 06:52 am (UTC)
Seconded! I love love love my post office's APC.
tenthz
Jul. 1st, 2008 12:29 pm (UTC)
Yes, but they don't do media mail. I'd rather talk to someone because sometimes they tell me that first class is cheaper than media mail. But standard shipping for both amazon and half is media mail, so going to the counter is mostly necessary.
sajego
Jul. 1st, 2008 03:48 am (UTC)
Here is what you should do:
1. Get a scale. I am using one designed for use in a kitchen. It weighs in ounces.

2. Order boxes for free from usps.com

3. Weigh package and print label from usps.com

4. Request carrier pickup. Also free.

Admittedly this wouldn't work so well if you're sending via first class, medial mail or sending international... it's great for Priority.
tenthz
Jul. 1st, 2008 12:31 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I've thought about getting a scale, but about 95% of what I send out goes media mail, and the other 5% goes first class because the clerk recommends sending it that way because sometimes it is cheaper. Most of the time, I can hit the post office at a non-rush time and there isn't even a line. I think this week is just bad because of the holiday and they don't have as much help.
sajego
Jul. 1st, 2008 12:34 pm (UTC)
I realized that as I was about to hit post :)

I send my slides orders priority because they are usually too heavy for first class and I like having the tracking... or at least delivery confirmation.

The scale comes in handy for cooking sometimes too! :)
sillyliss
Jul. 1st, 2008 01:39 pm (UTC)
Wow! I need to hit a used bookstore and buy up their textbooks! Are you able to sell even older editions?

I didn't know international buyers could purchase from you on amazon.
tenthz
Jul. 2nd, 2008 04:31 am (UTC)
Yup, you have to specifically say that you are willing to do international shipping. I always select it, but this is the first time that anyone has gone with that option.
zebulen
Jul. 1st, 2008 03:31 pm (UTC)
I will have you know that Amazon Marketplace smells just fine. :)
tenthz
Jul. 2nd, 2008 04:31 am (UTC)
I think the smell is from the Fees. Fees smell.
youreyeswide
Sep. 1st, 2008 07:36 am (UTC)
hey i was just wondering; how do you get paid for selling your stuff? i.e. paypal, checks, etc?
tenthz
Sep. 1st, 2008 03:35 pm (UTC)
Direct deposit. It deposits my earnings once a month, I think.
( 12 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

blogging
tenthz
Catherine

Latest Month

December 2011
S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Keri Maijala